iPad Case Buying Guide – All You Need to Know
Among all the multi-functional and multi-tasking devices of the day, the ubiquitous iPad is in an elite class of its own. Since the day it first took the world by storm, and through its several subsequent versions, the iPad has managed to brave stiff competition from the array of tablets, and sustain its position at the top of its realm.
The iPad is used as a photo album, portable TV, a home stereo, an eReader, a recipe book, comfortable and convenient hand-held device for surfing, as a GPS, for mobile gaming, and for personal organization. It has metamorphosed into an indispensable personal aide for its owner. It is, but natural to ensure that the expensive device is well protected from accidental drops and other kinds of damage.
The purpose of this guide is to introduce you to the vast world of iPad cases and covers, and to arm you with all the necessary information to help you choose the case that best fits your requirements.
Why do you need a case for iPad?
As with any other electronic device, the iPad will have to be protected from accidental falls. The earliest versions of iPad were quite big and heavy. So, protection with a cover was not so much of a concern. Through the years, as newer versions were introduced at regular intervals, the iPad is seen to be getting sleeker, thinner, and consequently, much more delicate. The sensitive touch screen of the iPad makes it susceptible to scratches and smudges. The screen is also vulnerable to cracks, if dropped. So, a protective cover is no longer an option. It is an imperative investment to secure your essential, not to mention, expensive, iPad!
Drop Protection: iPad of today are stylish and sleek slabs composed of metal, glass, plastic or a combination of these. They are very light and are compact and portable. These advantageous features also render them extremely fragile and susceptible to damage. Even an accidental slip or fall could smash the screen, leave dents in the body of the device and cause irreparable damage to the device, and to your pocket!
Cosmetic Concerns: In order to avoid such unfortunate incidents, it is important for us to duly protect our iPads by using cases or covers that effectively safeguard the phone from accidents. We handle our iPads every day. Frequent use can also smudge the iPad and leave marks on it. These marks can spoil the aesthetic appeal of your expensive gadget. The other important reason to have your personalized case would be the opportunity it gives you to flaunt your style and choice!
Protection of Camera: Even if you are not too concerned about an occasional scratch or even a cracked back, you have something more to worry about. The iPad, has a camera lens affixed to the back of the phone. So, the lens is prone to get damaged. This can result in photos of poor quality.
Resale Value: Apple comes out with new versions of its iPad almost every year. If you are among those people who religiously upgrade their iPads, you must consider investing in a sturdy iPad case. Even if you overlook tiny nicks and scratches, many others do! It is a good idea to maintain your iPad in good condition, if you intend to sell or exchange it in future.
How much protection is required?
This question does not have a universal solution. The amount of protection required will depend on the owner’s lifestyle, more than anything else.
- If you use the iPad indoors or in carpeted areas, then the chances of the iPad getting damaged due to a fall are slim. It would suffice to have minimum protection. You could choose to have cases that are sleek and stylish.
- If you are likely to use the iPad outdoors, it is advisable to protect the device from heat and rain. Choose a water resistant case that is also hard enough to safeguard the iPad from falls.
- If your iPad is to be near food and beverages, buy a case that encloses the iPad fully.
- If you tend to carry your iPad with you everywhere, choose a case that offers the highest level of protection. Opt for a case that is more functional, with straps or pockets to carry your belongings.
Factors to consider while choosing an iPad Case or Cover
In addition to protecting the iPad from scratches and damage, the case or the cover also serves as a fashionable accessory. This makes it all the more important for us to research the market thoroughly before buying a suitable iPad case. There are cases in different sizes, colors, and shapes, and it is advisable to study them and then decide. Here are some of the factors to consider.
Since Apple comes out with a new version of the iPad every few years, and because of their differences in size, cases available in the market may not be suitable for all models. The dimensions of each version of iPad may vary. There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ concept in these cases.
Apart from taking note of the physical dimensions, special attention should be paid to the openings provided for earphone, charger jacks, or camera lens. A case that does not fit perfectly can block these openings. It is, therefore, important to buy a case that is specifically designed for the particular model of iPad.
Designs and Styles of iPad Cases
Styles of iPad cases are very many and varied. It is necessary to choose a case depending on your lifestyle, purpose of the iPad, and its fashion quotient – in that order. Here is a list of the popular styles of iPad cases.
- This opens up like a folio.
- It is usually made of leather and imitation leather.
- It has medium to high bulkiness.
- It has a sleek, professional look.
- Sometimes it might have space for personal belongings.
- Some might have a full zipper closure for better protection.
- This clips or snaps on to the iPad and covers the screen.
- It is made of metal or polycarbonate.
- It has low bulkiness.
- Offers very good protection to screen.
- It might be used as keyboard and/or stand.
Hard Case or Shell Case
- Covers the whole iPad, except for the screen.
- It is made of metal or polycarbonate.
- It is of medium bulk.
- It protects both the front and back sides of the iPad.
- It might include screen protection.
Soft Case or Skin
- Covers everything except the screen.
- It is made of silicone or rubber.
- It has medium – low bulkiness.
- It is good for increasing water resistance and shock absorption.
- This case is specifically designed to protect iPads while being carried in backpacks or purses, when not in use.
- They are thin and compact pouches into which iPads can slide.
- Usually has additional flaps or zips for extra protection.
- Some sleeves are designed to be slightly bigger in order to accommodate stationery and other iPad accessories.
- This is in the form of a bag or purse.
- It is made of fabric, leather, or imitation leather.
- It is of medium bulk.
- A bag provides great protection while in transit.
- It includes space for storage.
- This includes sleeve to hold the iPad.
- Usually made of fabric.
- It offers a comfortable grip to hold the iPad.
- Typically there is a clear plastic sleeve on one side of the pillow.
iPad cases come in a variety of materials, from plastic, silicone, leather, wood, to exotic animal skin. Rubber and silicone are good shock absorbents. Plastic and polycarbonate are harder and prevent scratches and dents. Leather cases give a stylish and sophisticated look. Some cases are available in uncommon materials like denim or completely recyclable material.
Stylish iPad Cases made from Recycled Materials
For people who are conscious of environmental protection, there are several cases made out of recycled materials. These cases are not only eco-friendly, but also look fashionable and stylish.
Take a look at some of them…
Tips for buying iPad cases
When you plan to buy a case for your iPad, make sure you consult with others and research the factors of style, convenience, and protection. A proper case can add to the functionality of your device in addition to protecting it from scratches and worse damage.
Follow these guidelines –
- Before you buy the case, ask other iPad users about their experience and opinion of the case they currently use. Learn about the advantages and drawbacks.
- Check the information available on reputed shopping sites and read reviews on the web.
- Never buy a case before you buy your iPad. Unless you actually start using the iPad, you cannot come to a clear decision about the best case that would suit you. Waiting for a while can help you make an intelligent decision.
- Avoid buying cases that are bulky. If you intend to carry your iPad along, all day, a bulky case can weigh you down. Always look for a case that protects your iPad without adding bulk.
- Don’t buy a case made of materials like Neoprene. Cases made of Neoprene or Silicone may look good initially and may even give you a firmer grip on the new device. However, with time, they tend to become loose-fitting and begin to show signs of wear and tear. Such materials can also interfere with the cooling of the iPad.